Monday, August 20, 2012

Reflections On Week 1


  1. I believe that as long as I have access to the Internet I should be able to manage pretty well until I can try to get a smart phone in December. Not having a smart phone does present the challenge of having to use extra steps in order to either find the same information or post certain things but I've found that it is not impossible to get these tasks done, so I am confident that even though I may come up against an obstacle or two I have the tools and the ability to find a way to finish strong.
  2. The best learning experience I had actually changed who I was entirely at a very young age. I had this epiphany, or "Ah hah!" moment as Oprah Winfrey likes to call them, where I learned the real power of my experiences. I remember clearly the moment it happened, I was pretending to read in the living room of the two bedroom apartment my family and I lived in, and I couldn't focus on the book because my mind was racing with all these questions I had since I was about eight years old. I wondered if any good would EVER come out of my experience and I could tell that if I didn't get the answer to my question, I might just go insane. So I got up from the table and started asking questions. I asked my mother, brothers and grandfather, but of course no one had the answer. So with a defeated sigh, I sat on the couch and started watching science videos with my older brother. In one of the videos they began talking about Newton's Third Law: "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." At the time I didn't realize what a profound affect that one line would have on me, but it stuck with me all the same. Since that day I have learned that for every punch I take on the chin, I get the same opportunity with equal force, but I use my education to take my power back. There are very few things in life that can't be taken away and I had to learn that the hard way, but a person's knowledge and experience is one thing that can never be taken away. 
  3. The thing I'm most excited about is being able to experience something I will probably never experience anywhere else on this campus. I look forward to learning to being able to open my mind to opinions and points of view I had previously never considered and I am excited to see how this will help me transition from traditional high school to university. 

No comments:

Post a Comment