Saturday, October 6, 2012

Claudia v. Hamlet

Day 1 in Court
(Scene II)



Judge: Prosecution, you may call your second witness.
Prosecution: I call to the stand Lord Humphrey.
Bailiff: (Witness stands) Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
Lord Humphrey: I do.
Prosecutor: Can you please tell us what happened in the conference room at the estate?
Lord Humphrey: Claudia was talking about how we have to really keep an eye on Fortinbras & Co. since her sister Hannah had merged bought out the original company before her death. Now that the heir to the Fortinbras fortune has gathered a small group of investors, Claudia fears that they may get too popular and lock us out of the business.
Prosecutor: And did you notice anything strange while she spoke?
Lord Humphrey: Well I did think it was a little strange how she told us that even though her sister died and she is now married to her brother-in-law we really should get over the loss and get down to business. It seemed a bit apathetic.
Prosecutor: What else happened in the conference room?
Lord Humphrey: After Claudia was done talking about Fortinbras & Co. Voltimand and Cornelius left the room and Laertes asked if she would allow him to take the position in France as the representative of the company seeing how his duties here were filled. Claudia naturally agreed after receiving affirmation from Polonius, Laertes’ father and mentor.
Prosecutor: What happened after Claudia spoke with Laertes and Voltimand and Cornelius left the room?
Lord Humphrey: Claudia started talking to Hamlet.
Prosecutor: And what did she say to Hamlet?
Lord Humphrey: Well both Claudia and Gerry noticed how… depressed Hamlet seemed and when they asked why, even though he didn’t answer, they figured he was because he was still mourning the death of his mother Hannah. When they came to that conclusion they chastised him for being so sensitive and told him that kind of behavior didn’t befit an heir to their multi-million dollar company. (Humphrey leaves the stand)
Prosecution: No further questions your honor.
Judge: Does the defense have any questions?
Defense: No your honor.
Judge: All right, prosecution, you may call your third witness.
Prosecution: Your Honor, we call Hamlet to the stand.
Bailiff: (Witness Stands) Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
Hamlet: I do.
Prosecution: Hamlet can you please describe the relationship you have with Claudia and Gerry.
Hamlet: Gerry is my father and Claudia is my step-mother.
Prosecution: What was Claudia before she was you step-mother?
Hamlet: *sigh* She was my mother’s sister.
Defense: That’s definitely a peculiar situation and that must cause some discontent within the family, does it not?
Defense: OBJECTION, leading the witness your honor!
Judge: Sustained. Please rephrase the question councilor.
Prosecution: Yes your honor, Hamlet how do you feel about the relationship between your father and step-mother? Please remember that you are under oath.
Hamlet: I can’t say that I approve, but Claudia is family and Gerry is my father so I respect their decision.
Prosecution: When you say you don’t approve, what do you mean?
Hamlet: My mother hadn’t even been dead one month before my father married his sister-in-law and my aunt. He doted on my mother when she was alive and made it seem as if she were his reason for his existence. Yet when the opportunity came to not be alone or grieve he leaped at the chance to marry Claudia and she was all too eager to accept his offer. What kind of sister would marry his brother-in-law after her sister has passed? If you can justify a decision like that then maybe their incestuous affair can receive my support.
Prosecution: Can you please tell us what happened after Claudia and Gerry “lectured” you about your mother, Hannah?
Hamlet: Horatio, Marcellus, and Bernardo entered the room.
Prosecution: What did they say when they came in the room?
Hamlet: They had a note to give me that they had found on their rounds last night.
Prosecution: What did the note say?
Hamlet: That my mother had a message for me, so I asked where they found the note and at what time thinking maybe if we went back to the same spot I would find that note.
Prosecution: No further questions your Honor.
-Defense Cross Examines-

2 comments:

  1. What are the "Claudia v. Hamlet" stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my "recreation" of the play Hamlet that way it is easier to understand. I basically extracted the bigger themes and tones of Hamlet and inserted into a different type of story structure. Instead of a Claudius, we have a femme fatale named Claudia. It's all explained in better detail in my first post that has all the characters.

      Delete