Sunday, October 21, 2012

Claudia v. Hamlet


Day 3 in Court

(Scene I)

Judge: Prosecution, you may call your witness.
Prosecution: We call Claudia to the stand, your Honor.
Bailiff: (Witness stands) Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
Claudia: I do. (Witness sits)
Prosecution: Can you please describe to us how you and Polonius chose to truly figure out whether or not Hamlet was a lunatic.
Claudia: Well we wanted to see if it was Ophelia that was driving him mad or whether or not he was just crazy. So Polonius and I decided that the best way to do this would be to use Ophelia as a decoy and draw out his insanity.
Prosecution: And what was the result?
Claudia: Well I found that he seemed perfectly sane, he was just extremely strained due to all the stress at home. Although I can say he didn't look too favorably upon me or any other woman for that matter. Which saddens me because poor Ophelia must be heartbroken to now hear that Hamlet no longer loves her, which is why I saw it fit to send Hamlet away to England. I thought the new scenery would do him some good.
Prosecution: Well how thoughtful of you. No further question, your Honor.
Judge: Defense may begin cross examination.
Defense: Thank you, your Honor. (To Claudia) Prior to Hamlet and Ophelia speaking, Hamlet was "venting" his feelings by thinking out loud was he not?
Claudia: Yes.
Defense: And can you please tell the court what he said.
Claudia: *sighs* Hamlet was contemplating suicide. Whether or not life was with the constant suffering, but since we don't know what waits for us after we die is it really the best choice to give up what we know and venture past the point of no return into the unknown? Which in a sense makes cowards of all of us because even though life can be unbearable, our fear of the unknown prevents us from ending our troubles. To be or not to be, that is the question.
Defense: Well as a new mother, don't those inner thoughts seem rather lugubrious? 
Claudia: Absolutely.
Defense: Wouldn't it be reasonable enough to say that he in fact is so depressed by the death of his mother that he now is out of sorts? 
Claudia: I suppose so.
Defense: Why then do you say that he is entirely sane when you yourself can see how emotionally overwrought your step-son is? He can no longer even bear the strain of life and is now contemplating suicide and yet you claim, he is perfectly sane.
Claudia: Well... I never thought of it that way.
Defense: Of course you didn't because you never really cared about Hamlet. You just cared about saving your own skin.
-Prosecution Re-examines-

9 comments:

  1. HAHA I love it. To be honest I absolutely dislike Claudius and Queen Gertrude. I love the end when he gets his butt chewed. WOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of how you were able to make Hamlet feel like a court room case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am the first to comment this!! I love the whole idea of going to court. It shows in piece of who you are and it sums up everything in this part of "Hamlet". I know you have put a lot of time into this and I am glad to see how great of a job it has turned out to be. Wonderful work!! I can't wait to see what other great things you come up with. You have gone pass what was exspected. Way to go Sam!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it!! So I am not the first but hey I was close(:

      Delete
    2. Aww shucks! Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it because now I really know I'm not putting all this work in it for nothing!(:

      Delete
  4. I really like how you remixed this :)I like the whole courtroom thing it kept me intrested. good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was awesome!! As a fan of Law & Order, I love the whole courtroom setting and the questioning from the Prosecution and Defense. I would love to actually see this in video form! Maybe an option in the future, Miss Samantha Garrison? ;) Hahaha love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how this makes Hamlet so much easier to understand. I have to admit that at first I was really confused but now that I am into your take on things I am really enjoying this! Great joB! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. court room, Great idea!..it is amazing of how you remix the court room and the characteristics of Claudius. I happened to think that if everything takes place in modern time, it will be interesting to see Claudius on the court!!! "All in all I love what you did too..."!!

    ReplyDelete