Monday, October 8, 2012

Claudia v. Hamlet


Day 1 in Court


(Scene IV)

Judge: Prosecution, you may call your fourth witness.
Prosecution: Your Honor, we call Hamlet to the stand.
Bailiff: (Witness Stands) Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
Hamlet: I do.
Prosecution: Hamlet, can you please explain to us what happened the night you received the note from your mother.
Hamlet: Well I followed up on my claim that I would go back that night to the spot where they found the original note in hopes that maybe I’d find that message. I looked around trying to find something, anything out of place and that’s when I stumbled upon this stone that seemed wildly out of place. So out of curiosity I picked the stone up and underneath it was the note that I was searching for.
Prosecution: What did the note say?
Hamlet: My mother said that if anything were to happen to her, like an unexpected death, my aunt would be the reason for it.
Prosecution: And you believe this note?
Hamlet: It was written by my mother a week before her death, of course I do.
Prosecution: But how do you know it was actually written by her? You’re a pretty rational man Hamlet, so why didn’t it cross your mind that maybe the letter was forged? Maybe it was because you were so desperate to rid yourself of your step-mother. You can’t stand the thought of her taking the place of your mother, her sister. The thought that your aunt and father are joined by marriage disgusts you doesn’t it? It enrages you even! It eats at your very core and the only way to stop their blasphemous acts is to take revenge in your mother’s name. Isn’t Hamlet? You aren’t insane! You knew exactly what you were thinking when you read that not, didn’t you?
Hamlet: (remains silent)
Prosecution: No further questions your honor.
-Defense Cross Examines-

No comments:

Post a Comment