Monday, October 8, 2012

Claudia v. Hamlet

Day 1 in Court

(Scene III)

Judge: Prosecution, you may call your third witness.
Prosecution: Your Honor, we call Ophelia to the stand.
Bailiff: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
Ophelia: I do.
Prosecution: Ophelia, can you please tell us what your brother and father said to you in regards to Hamlet.
Ophelia: Well, I told them how Hamlet and I had feelings for each other and it’s not that they didn't like Hamlet, it’s just that they don’t approve of us… being a couple.
Prosecution: Can you please elaborate?
Ophelia: Both my father and brother think that even though Hamlet may have strong feelings for me, he has expectations to meet and duties to fill that supersede his affections for me. Though they think highly of Hamlet, they both agree that Hamlet, if faced with the choice, would choose the company and its interests over my happiness since there are more people dependent on his rationality and success within the company. So naturally, since they don’t want me to get hurt, they advised that I try to put a bit of a distance between his promises and my heart. A promise from him only means so much since he has previous obligations that he agreed to long before he met me, so for my sake they thought it best if I looked at the situation with a bit of indifference.
Prosecution: And do you agree with their observations?
Ophelia: My father and brother know what’s best for me and I will heed their advice like any obedient daughter and sister would.
-Defense Cross Examines-

No comments:

Post a Comment